One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The synthesis of complex molecules in living organisms from simpler ones together with the storage of energy; constructive metabolism.
- ‘Along with all of those benefits, it does exactly what all hardcore trainers want - increases testosterone for muscle anabolism and decreases cortisol to prevent muscle catabolism.’
- ‘During anabolism, small molecules are changed into larger, more complex molecules of carbohydrate, protein, and fat.’
- ‘Better overall metabolic control enables you to tilt the balance in favor of protein anabolism and muscle growth as well as fat loss.’
- ‘The synthetic metabolic process of anabolism or the eliminative process of catabolism results in some chemical by-product that requires elimination.’
- ‘In healthy elderly men, age-related decline in quadriceps muscle force has been related to the reduced circulating levels of testosterone, which is able to stimulate muscle protein anabolism and motor neuron size.’
Late 19th century: from Greek anabolē ‘ascent’, from ana- ‘up’ + ballein ‘to throw’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.