Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The synthesis of complex molecules in living organisms from simpler ones together with the storage of energy; constructive metabolism.
- ‘The synthetic metabolic process of anabolism or the eliminative process of catabolism results in some chemical by-product that requires elimination.’
- ‘Along with all of those benefits, it does exactly what all hardcore trainers want - increases testosterone for muscle anabolism and decreases cortisol to prevent muscle catabolism.’
- ‘Better overall metabolic control enables you to tilt the balance in favor of protein anabolism and muscle growth as well as fat loss.’
- ‘During anabolism, small molecules are changed into larger, more complex molecules of carbohydrate, protein, and fat.’
- ‘In healthy elderly men, age-related decline in quadriceps muscle force has been related to the reduced circulating levels of testosterone, which is able to stimulate muscle protein anabolism and motor neuron size.’
Late 19th century: from Greek anabolē ascent, from ana- up + ballein to throw.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.