One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic steroid hormone which resembles testosterone in promoting the growth of muscle. Such hormones are used medicinally to treat some forms of weight loss and (illegally) by some athletes and sports players to enhance physical performance.
- ‘Anabolic therapies, such as human growth hormone and anabolic steroids, that promote protein synthesis or inhibit protein breakdown also have been used.’
- ‘The German twice tested positive for the anabolic steroid nandrolone, but claimed his toothpaste had been spiked.’
- ‘The original anabolic steroid is a natural hormone that can increase muscle mass.’
- ‘In addition, abuse of anabolic steroids can stunt bone growth in adolescents and result in potentially permanent damage to the heart, liver, and kidneys.’
- ‘As other athletes, baseball players have used anabolic steroids to become bigger, stronger and faster.’
- ‘Still, it wasn't the anabolic steroids, growth hormone and similar substances that alarmed the doctors.’
- ‘They're completely different from anabolic steroids, which some athletes abuse.’
- ‘Athletes who use anabolic steroids to boost their performance are at an increased risk of developing cancer and of weakening their body's natural defence against infections, tests show.’
- ‘A commonly used body building drug is Human Growth Hormone which works in a similar way to anabolic steroids to increase muscle mass using protein synthesis.’
- ‘Adolescent male athletes are more likely than other adolescents to use anabolic steroids and ergogenics as performance-enhancing drugs.’
- ‘Beta blockers may be more benign pharmacologically than anabolic steroids, but the message is the same.’
- ‘We refuse to mislead our readers, and diminish the endeavors of our top athletes, by showcasing anabolic steroids as the number-one way to get big.’
- ‘Androgenic anabolic steroids are used worldwide to help athletes gain muscle mass and strength.’
- ‘What's a little anabolic steroid, a touch of human growth hormone amongst friends?’
- ‘There is also the possible use of an anabolic steroid to promote growth.’
- ‘Their reluctance was caused chiefly by fear of damage to the skin but sometimes by confusion between topical corticosteroids and anabolic steroids.’
- ‘Many body builders and athletes use anabolic steroids to build muscle mass.’
- ‘At the pro level, muscle-enhancing drugs, such as testosterone, anabolic steroids and growth hormone, are a fact of life.’
- ‘The British player failed a drugs test for the anabolic steroid last summer, but protested his innocence to the Association of Tennis Professionals.’
- ‘As for testosterone, and other anabolic steroids they have their problems, too - especially when taken by growing adolescents.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.