One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A firmly held belief.‘it was an article of faith with this circle that women must free themselves’
principle, belief, doctrine, precept, creed, credo, article of faith, dogma, canon, ruleView synonyms
- ‘My experience is that the two propositions set forth in the preceding paragraph are articles of faith among this crowd.’
- ‘Their conviction rests on seven articles of faith, carefully passed from person to person at all levels of the black community.’
- ‘A creed is meant to summarize the explicit teachings or articles of faith, to imbed and thus protect and transmit the beliefs.’
- ‘One of the ironies of multiculturalism is its inconsistency with the other tenets of the liberal articles of faith, such as feminism.’
- ‘It's become an article of faith among environmentalists, the idea of the Ecological Indian.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.