Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A potentially disastrous situation, typically caused by negligent or faulty procedures.‘people living near the site where the boy was crushed to death said it was an accident waiting to happen’
- ‘The situation is an accident waiting to happen and there are already frequent prangs and bumps around the junction.’
- ‘‘It was an accident waiting to happen,’ he said.’
- ‘The road is a busy, sweeping bend and although you couldn't describe it as an accident blackspot, people are concerned that the state of the road at present is an accident waiting to happen.’
- ‘This is an accident waiting to happen and if this dog does attack a child then I hope the judge can live with his decision.’
- ‘IT MAY be slap bang in the middle of a shipping channel and regarded as an accident waiting to happen - but the city's controversial swing bridge is nearing completion.’
- ‘In an editorial, the paper said it was an accident waiting to happen and urged aviation authorities to re-examine their safety procedures.’
- ‘He has been corresponding with North Vancouver District for 16 months attempting to get some sort of pedestrian control on the stretch of road which he thinks is an accident waiting to happen.’
- ‘Mr Baker said: ‘This has been an ongoing problem for years and is an accident waiting to happen.’’
- ‘We are really angry because this is an accident waiting to happen and I'm sure that it will happen again.’
- ‘The Ballitore Hill junction that leads from the busy N9 motor-way into the village of Ballitore, is according to one local resident, an accident waiting to happen.’
- ‘But that stretch of road is awful, an accident waiting to happen.’
- ‘‘His death was, in my judgment, the result of an accident waiting to happen in circumstances where there was a clear and foreseeable risk of injury or worse,’ said Judge Paul Hoffman.’
- ‘While the tragedy was an accident, it was an accident waiting to happen.’
- ‘Ward councillor Tim Young said: ‘It is a death trap and an accident waiting to happen.’’
- ‘As I have said in recent weeks, this is an accident waiting to happen and the recent rain has made the ground slippy and dangerous for even the nimblest of people.’
- ‘The situation was an accident waiting to happen.’
- ‘With all the kids in the park it will be mayhem - an accident waiting to happen.’
- ‘The exit from there is very limited so we've ended up with another traffic hazard which is an accident waiting to happen.’
- ‘You would think anyone would immediately recognize the situation as an accident waiting to happen.’
- ‘It's an accident waiting to happen, particularly with the amount of small children in this area,’ she added.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.