One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of motor neurone disease.
- ‘Three main clinical variants are usually identified: progressive muscular atrophy, progressive bulbar palsy and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.’
- ‘The new development could one day help victims of spinal-cord injuries, or pave the way for novel treatments of degenerative diseases such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.’
- ‘Then, in January of 2003, he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.’
- ‘Historically, up to one third of persons in every village developed a complex neurologic syndrome with clinical features of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, parkinsonism, and dementia.’
- ‘Patients with alcoholism, drug abuse, cancer, multiple sclerosis, psychosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, parkinsonism, Down syndrome, liver or kidney disease, epilepsy and stroke were excluded from the study.’
- ‘The differential diagnosis includes any condition that can result in myelopathy, such as multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and masses (such as metastatic tumors) that press on the spinal cord.’
- ‘Electromyography is indicated in patients with motor unit disorders, such as polymyositis, myasthenia gravis or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.’
- ‘It is probably also beneficial in more rapidly progressive diseases, such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.’
- ‘Johns Hopkins researchers have found that transplants of mouse stem cells taken from the adult brain's olfactory bulb can delay symptoms and death in a mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease.’
- ‘A new study reveals for the first time how gene mutations lead to the inherited form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease.’
- ‘A short time later he was diagnosed as having a rare and incurable disease called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, known in the United States as Lou Gehrig's disease after the Yankee baseball player who died from the illness.’
- ‘What I feared was wrong with her was amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, but I hemmed and hawed and told her that we needed to run some tests.’
- ‘Respiratory muscle weakness is the usual cause of death in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.’
- ‘The symptom is also sometimes seen in lobotomy patients and other sufferers of frontal lobe damage and in victims of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease) and multiple sclerosis.’
- ‘Two years later he died from a rare disease known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (a form of infantile paralysis).’
- ‘These brain cell losses are similar to those found in patients with brain diseases like amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and multiple sclerosis, as well as dementia and other degenerative neurological disorders.’
- ‘Most patients with advanced amyotrophic lateral sclerosis live in a functional locked-in state.’
- ‘The year is 2003, and she has suffered with Lou Gehrig's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, for six years, which is longer than most patients with ALS last.’
- ‘Other conditions, such as multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and tumors on the spinal cord, can cause similar symptoms.’
- ‘A selective defect in somatic muscle function producing oropharyngeal dysphagia can also occur in myasthenia gravis and in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.’
Late 19th century: amyotrophic from amyotrophy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.