One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A protein that is deposited in the liver, kidneys, spleen, or other tissues in certain diseases.
- ‘Amyloidosis occurs when the protein amyloid is deposited in the kidneys under conditions other than ordinary.’
- ‘The three types of fibrils chosen for investigation represent extremes of precursor proteins that self-assemble into amyloid.’
- ‘These plaques are formed when enzymes clip off and part of a protein called amyloid.’
- ‘This case is unique because of the massive deposition of amyloid in the spleen, adrenal gland, and liver.’
- ‘Hiapp belongs to the group of amyloidogenic proteins, characterized by their aggregation and deposition as fibrillar amyloid in various body tissues.’
- 1.1‘a bewildering illness eventually diagnosed as amyloid of the kidneys’another term for amyloidosis
- ‘Bronchiolar diseases and amyloid and malignant lymphoma were seen less frequently.’
- ‘The first and more predominant structure was a mesh of filaments measuring 10 to 15 nm in diameter, which is typical of amyloid.’
- ‘Among four cases with primary pulmonary lymphoma, amyloid was observed in three cases as a minor finding.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.