One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A protein that is deposited in the liver, kidneys, spleen, or other tissues in certain diseases.
- ‘This case is unique because of the massive deposition of amyloid in the spleen, adrenal gland, and liver.’
- ‘These plaques are formed when enzymes clip off and part of a protein called amyloid.’
- ‘Hiapp belongs to the group of amyloidogenic proteins, characterized by their aggregation and deposition as fibrillar amyloid in various body tissues.’
- ‘Amyloidosis occurs when the protein amyloid is deposited in the kidneys under conditions other than ordinary.’
- ‘The three types of fibrils chosen for investigation represent extremes of precursor proteins that self-assemble into amyloid.’
- 1.1‘a bewildering illness eventually diagnosed as amyloid of the kidneys’another term for amyloidosis
- ‘Among four cases with primary pulmonary lymphoma, amyloid was observed in three cases as a minor finding.’
- ‘Bronchiolar diseases and amyloid and malignant lymphoma were seen less frequently.’
- ‘The first and more predominant structure was a mesh of filaments measuring 10 to 15 nm in diameter, which is typical of amyloid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.