One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who has had a limb amputated.
- ‘One third of amputees lose the opposite foot in 5 years.’
- ‘Having said this, though, would the brain perceive a ‘phantom body’, analogous to the phantom limbs that amputees feel?’
- ‘They create artificial limbs and calipers for amputees and polio victims, enabling them to live full, normal lives.’
- ‘Some members of the population, such as amputees, will never be able to use certain recognition systems, leading to possible social exclusion.’
- ‘That's how stroke victims learn to talk and walk again, and how amputees learn to use their remaining arm as well as they once used the lost one.’
- ‘He believes the technique could be developed within a decade to restore movement to a tetraplegic's hand or feeling to a prosthetic leg used by an amputee.’
- ‘It is this concrete fact, this reality, which gives the parachuting artificial limbs, the madly scurrying amputees, its terrifying metaphoric power.’
- ‘In the past few years he has turned his attention to achieving similar results for upper and lower limb amputees and has generated similar controversy.’
- ‘Both were amputees and therefore wear artificial limbs.’
- ‘As the number of amputees grew, so did improvements to artificial limbs.’
- ‘For example, your pain could be similar to the phantom pain some amputees feel in their amputated limbs.’
- ‘In tests, four amputees were able to program their artificial arms with sets of muscle signals for executing complex feats such as opening the door of a microwave oven.’
- ‘Thus the functional disadvantage is less for child amputees.’
- ‘I'm learning a whole new vocabulary, a secret lexicon known only to amputees and prosthetists.’
- ‘He blackmails a doctor to perform a drastic surgery, leaving him a true amputee.’
- ‘When amputation is necessary, rehabilitation of the amputee is an important adjunct to management.’
- ‘Most amputees continue to feel sensations after losing a limb.’
- ‘My question is, I'm wondering if you support stem-cell research in hopes that they may produce new limbs for amputees.’
- ‘I know all too well how vital a well-made and comfortable artificial limb is to an amputee.’
- ‘At this time of year, I get a sensation comparable to that experienced by an amputee who remains attached to a long-departed limb.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.