One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for measuring the speed of a vehicle over a fixed distance, widely used by traffic police.‘this stretch of road became a favourite location for the traffic police's amphometer’
- ‘The most controversial point made in this decision was that the amphometer was not among the class of notorious instruments.’
- ‘When motorists are aware that an amphometer is being operated, they adopt a more cautious approach.’
- ‘The paper investigated the memory effect of police amphometer traps in Western Australia.’
- ‘I noticed a highway patrolman setting up the amphometer tapes.’
- ‘The evidence on the dial of the amphometer should not have been admitted.’
1960s: probably from the arbitrary element a + mph + -o- + -meter.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.