Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A crustacean of the chiefly marine order Amphipoda.
- ‘Several clam species were observed on the sandier flats, and small crabs, amphipods, and isopods were available on the marsh surface.’
- ‘In addition to fish, Pterois volitans feed on invertebrates such as amphipods, isopods, and other crustaceans.’
- ‘Isopods and amphipods spend low tide buried in wrack, where variation in temperature and humidity is strongly damped relative to the exposed intertidal surface.’
- ‘Roswell springsnail, Koster's tryonia and Pecos assiminea are small aquatic snails, while the Noel's amphipod is a freshwater shrimp.’
- ‘For example, crickets infected with bacteria, Drosophila infested with mites, and amphipods harboring trematodes all increase reproductive activity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.