Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A crustacean of the chiefly marine order "Amphipoda".
- ‘Isopods and amphipods spend low tide buried in wrack, where variation in temperature and humidity is strongly damped relative to the exposed intertidal surface.’
- ‘In addition to fish, Pterois volitans feed on invertebrates such as amphipods, isopods, and other crustaceans.’
- ‘For example, crickets infected with bacteria, Drosophila infested with mites, and amphipods harboring trematodes all increase reproductive activity.’
- ‘Roswell springsnail, Koster's tryonia and Pecos assiminea are small aquatic snails, while the Noel's amphipod is a freshwater shrimp.’
- ‘Several clam species were observed on the sandier flats, and small crabs, amphipods, and isopods were available on the marsh surface.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.