Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Sexual reproduction involving the fusion of two different gametes to form a zygote.Often contrasted with apomixis
- ‘A great diversity of reproductive mechanisms occur among nematodes, including amphimixis, automictic hermaphroditisim, and parthenogenesis.’
- ‘When I speak of sexual reproduction in this essay, I mean anisogamous amphimixis.’
- ‘Facultative amphimixis is the equivalent of the mechanism described under meiotic parthenogenesis.’
- ‘‘Fertilization is an amphimixis,’ he exclaimed, ‘a mixing or fusing of the properties of the two parental generators.’’
- ‘Our findings indicate that in general haplodiploidy and automixis should be more successful than amphimixis or apomixis.’
Late 19th century: from amphi- + Greek mixis mingling.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.