Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Sexual reproduction involving the fusion of two different gametes to form a zygote.Often contrasted with apomixis
- ‘A great diversity of reproductive mechanisms occur among nematodes, including amphimixis, automictic hermaphroditisim, and parthenogenesis.’
- ‘‘Fertilization is an amphimixis,’ he exclaimed, ‘a mixing or fusing of the properties of the two parental generators.’’
- ‘When I speak of sexual reproduction in this essay, I mean anisogamous amphimixis.’
- ‘Our findings indicate that in general haplodiploidy and automixis should be more successful than amphimixis or apomixis.’
- ‘Facultative amphimixis is the equivalent of the mechanism described under meiotic parthenogenesis.’
Late 19th century: from amphi- + Greek mixis ‘mingling’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.