Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An expert in the study and classification of cultivated varieties of grape.
- ‘The wines are certainly extremely similar and the extent of the House of Savoy in the 16th century would provide an explanation, but several respected Italian ampelographers dispute this theory.’
- ‘It was therefore known principally as Clare Riesling in Australia until 1976 when ampelographer Paul Truel identified it as this relatively obscure French variety.’
- ‘A vine called Pedro Giménez is extremely important in Argentina but ampelographers believe that it is not the Pedro Ximénez of Spain.’
- ‘The Monferrato in Piedmont is frequently cited as the variety's birthplace, although the ampelographer Pierre Viala cites Oltrepò Pavese in Lombardy as its original home.’
- ‘Ampelographic studies have recently been facilitated by application of computers and electronic data storage and retrieval, but final identification still relies heavily on the judgement of ampelographers.’
- ‘For many years no distinction was made between Pinot Blanc and Chardonnay since the two varieties can look very similar to all but the keenest ampelographers.’
- ‘We cannot resort to tasting samples or nursery specimens; all we possess are classical texts written by authors who were not modern, scientifically trained ampelographers.’
- ‘Galet maintains that Sauvignonasse is identical to Tocai Friulano but this is disputed by Italian ampelographers.’
- ‘Galet refutes earlier ampelographers' suggestions of a genealogical link with Pinot Noir.’
- ‘The ampelographer Alberto Alcalde at INTA, Mendoza, has made considerable progress in vine identification in Argentina.’
Late 19th century: via French from Greek ampelos ‘vine’ + -grapher.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.