One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fluid surrounding a fetus within the amnion.
- ‘Floating in its lagoon of amniotic fluid, the fetus is well protected from most types of trauma.’
- ‘If meconium is present in your amniotic fluid when your water breaks, or your fluid has dark green stains or streaks, tell your doctor immediately.’
- ‘Some of this protein is excreted into the amniotic fluid surrounding the fetus.’
- ‘The amniotic fluid and membrane cushion the fetus against bumps and jolts to the mother's body.’
- ‘Aquatic experiences begin in the mother's womb where an infant is surrounded by amniotic fluid.’
- ‘Before birth, the lungs of the fetus are filled with amniotic fluid.’
- ‘A small sample of the amniotic fluid that surrounds the fetus in the womb is taken and this is tested in a laboratory.’
- ‘Similar to other oncofetal antigens, it is a normal protein in fetal life, present in amniotic fluid and placental tissue.’
- ‘In amniocentesis, the physician inserts a thin needle through the pregnant woman's abdomen to withdraw a small amount of amniotic fluid, in which the virus can be detected.’
- ‘In the delivery room, newborn infants should be handled with gloves until blood and amniotic fluid have been removed from the infants' skin.’
- ‘Surrounding and protecting the embryo is the amnion, filled with amniotic fluid, and providing the embryo with a stable fluid environment.’
- ‘Doctors may test pregnant mothers to see if there is too much amniotic fluid (fluid around an unborn baby).’
- ‘The amniotic fluid that surrounds your baby is indeed a magic fluid.’
- ‘At the time of delivery, maternal blood, cord blood, and amniotic fluid were collected for analyses, as described later.’
- ‘If an air-dried sample of fluid reveals a fern-like pattern, the presence of amniotic fluid is confirmed.’
- ‘In the first half of pregnancy, too little amniotic fluid is associated with birth defects of the lungs and limbs and increases the risk of miscarriage, preterm birth and stillbirth.’
- ‘The levels of nicotine and cotinine in amniotic fluid and cord blood were higher in the vitamin C-exposed group compared with the nicotine group for reasons that are unclear.’
- ‘The volume of amniotic fluid, the size and configuration of the uterus and maternal body habitus complicate estimation of the size of the fetus by palpation through the abdominal wall.’
- ‘But just like other animals we found that if a baby had experienced a flavour in either amniotic fluid or mother's milk, they were more accepting of carrot flavoured cereal at weaning.’
- ‘Amniocentesis is a common prenatal test in which a small sample of the amniotic fluid surrounding the fetus is removed and examined.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.