One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A process in which amniotic fluid is sampled using a hollow needle inserted into the uterus, to screen for abnormalities in the developing fetus.
- ‘My husband and I stated that we would not undergo an amniocentesis and were given a highly sophisticated ultrasound instead.’
- ‘In amniocentesis, the health care provider inserts a thin needle through the woman's abdomen.’
- ‘Prenatal tests including amniocentesis and ultrasound may help to determine whether the fetus is infected.’
- ‘That means that about one woman in every 100 having an amniocentesis will suffer a miscarriage as a result.’
- ‘The karyotype obtained from an amniocentesis was normal.’
- ‘An alternative method of viewing this is that 1 in 57 amniocenteses resulted in a diagnosis of Down's syndrome.’
- ‘If the father cannot be found or refuses to take part it is possible to test the fetus by amniocentesis.’
- ‘An amniocentesis was performed and revealed a normal karyotype.’
- ‘The whole process is called an amniocentesis, or amnio, in the vernacular.’
- ‘While amniocentesis can diagnose hundreds of diseases and conditions, it is most effective when the laboratory is instructed to look for a specific condition.’
- ‘Between the 15th and 18th weeks of pregnancy, the mother can also have an amniocentesis to screen for the Tay-Sachs gene.’
- ‘Waiting two weeks for the result of an amniocentesis can be very stressful, even if you have every reason to believe that you and your baby are healthy.’
- ‘From the moment we saw the sonogram and read the results of the amniocentesis, the debate had been joined.’
- ‘But, the baby's fine, just too close to the interior walls, thus making an amniocentesis too risky for the baby.’
- ‘Occasionally, intersex conditions are diagnosed before birth, through amniocentesis, or occasionally, by an ultrasound.’
- ‘The side-effects of an amniocentesis can include some mild pain or cramps in the tummy.’
- ‘With Down syndrome, an amniocentesis or a blood test can't tell us how severe the disabilities might be.’
- ‘The risk of fetal loss from amniocentesis should be discussed.’
- ‘Early amniocentesis offers a similar advantage, but the fetal loss rate associated with this technique is higher than that of chorionic villus sampling.’
- ‘The purpose of the serial amniocentesis is to prevent preterm labor and thereby extend the pregnancy.’
1950s: from amnion + Greek kentēsis ‘pricking’ (from kentein ‘to prick’).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.