Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A white crystalline solid used as a fertilizer and as a component of some explosives.
- ‘A stable form of nitrogen such as ammonium nitrate is recommended to reduce volatilization.’
- ‘When the number of nodules is insufficient to supply adequate nitrogen, it will be necessary to supply some nitrogen to the crop in the form of urea or ammonium nitrate.’
- ‘One popular explosive for industrial use is made from fertilizers like ammonium nitrate or urea, fuel oil, and nitric or sulfuric acid.’
- ‘In that investigation detectives arrested eight suspects across southern England and seized half a ton of ammonium nitrate, a chemical fertiliser used in many bomb attacks.’
- ‘Therefore, ammonium nitrate is the preferred nitrogen fertilizer for topdressing where incorporation is impossible.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.