One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as modifier The cation NH₄⁺, present in solutions of ammonia and in salts derived from ammonia.‘ammonium compounds’‘ammonium sulphate’
- ‘The perchloric acid then neutralises the alkali ammonia forming crystals of ammonium perchlorate salt.’
- ‘And it contained the inorganic salts manganese sulphate, potassium chloride and ammonium sulphate.’
- ‘Amides are hydrolysed to ammonium salts with catalysis by acids or alkalis.’
- ‘These include things such as urea, ammonia, nitric acid, and ammonium phosphate.’
- ‘In nickel plating, an electrolytic solution containing nickel ammonium sulfate may be used.’
Early 19th century: from ammonia + -ium.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.