One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting the division of a cell nucleus without mitosis.
- ‘They show some rare mitotic figures; signs of amitotic division could never be found.’
- ‘As a result, the normal complement of DNA in the micronucleus is 4C during the amitotic division of the macronucleus and cytokinesis.’
- ‘Changes in the structure and ultrastructure of protoplasts during regeneration of the cell wall, mitotic cell division and amitotic nuclear fragmentation.’
- ‘Tetrahymena divide by binary fission during vegetative growth, and the micronucleus and macronucleus are propagated by mitotic and amitotic division, respectively.’
- ‘Fortunately, the amitotic division and high telomerase activity in the large macronucleus allowed Paramecium to be transformed by microinjection of DNA fragments and a method for cloning genes by complementation was developed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.