One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting the division of a cell nucleus without mitosis.
- ‘Changes in the structure and ultrastructure of protoplasts during regeneration of the cell wall, mitotic cell division and amitotic nuclear fragmentation.’
- ‘They show some rare mitotic figures; signs of amitotic division could never be found.’
- ‘Tetrahymena divide by binary fission during vegetative growth, and the micronucleus and macronucleus are propagated by mitotic and amitotic division, respectively.’
- ‘Fortunately, the amitotic division and high telomerase activity in the large macronucleus allowed Paramecium to be transformed by microinjection of DNA fragments and a method for cloning genes by complementation was developed.’
- ‘As a result, the normal complement of DNA in the micronucleus is 4C during the amitotic division of the macronucleus and cytokinesis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.