One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as modifier The group —NH₂, present in amino acids, amides, and many amines.‘isocyanic acid reacts with amino groups’‘amino compounds’
- ‘Natural proteins are made up of alpha-amino acids, which have a carboxyl group and an amino group separated by one carbon atom.’
- ‘There have been numerous reports of abnormal accumulations of amino compounds and amines in tissues of nutrient-deficient plants.’
- ‘From this ensemble, the mean position of the side-chain amino group or the two carboxyl oxygens were determined.’
- ‘They are composed of fatty acids bonded to the amino alcohol sphingosine.’
- ‘In general, allergic reactions to amino esters are much more common than amino amides’
Late 19th century: from amine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.