Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- variant of amid
- ‘There was quite a bit of tartan, along with the more traditionally sombre garb, and many smiles amidst the tears.’
- ‘We lie in dappled shade amidst cawing crows, wave sound, a sprinkler playing on the short grass.’
- ‘It projects the densely built cityscape amidst a set of evocative photographs of the city.’
- ‘There's a strong whiff of testosterone amidst the anti-bacterial spray and truffle odour.’
- ‘What really stood out for me was a minor drama amidst all the clowning about and grandstanding for the media.’
- ‘Isn't it amazing how these people continue to keep their day jobs amidst this kind of mediocrity?’
- ‘Guess who appeared on the stage amidst colourful smoke in a cinematic fashion!’
- ‘Rome is the opposite; it's the workers who feel guilty amidst so many ostentatious tourists.’
- ‘Soaking in the sun amidst the abundant culture around, I sat back on a bench, smugly pleased with myself.’
- ‘True, it's quite possibly the weakest song on the album, but its only sin is being merely good amidst greatness.’
- ‘Everyone loves finding a letter from a friend or loved one amidst the stack of bills.’
- ‘I spotted her amidst a sea of umbrellas and waved goodbye even as she smiled and pointed one finger to the sky.’
- ‘The discussion then tends to wither and die off amidst all the the confusion.’
- ‘First of all what strikes a nature lover is that it is a green jungle island amidst an ocean of concrete jungle.’
- ‘The place was a mess of brambles and graffiti, but amidst the wreckage I found a fine piece of Victorian statuary.’
- ‘The paintings recapture the memory of a grand era amidst the debris of contemporary history.’
- ‘Eggs hidden inside the cab of a toy truck or amidst the set of wooden blocks will add to the excitement of the search.’
- ‘The critical things seem to be getting lost amidst proposals to do everything.’
- ‘These seem to have been sidelined amidst all the hoopla surrounding the rights issue.’
- ‘It was an experience to stand amidst a countless variety of brilliantly hued wild flowers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.