Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In a friendly and pleasant manner.‘soon everyone was chatting amiably’
- ‘She was kissing his face amiably as if he were her savior, taking her away from her disappearing world.’
- ‘She amiably offered a smile in return, which pleasantly surprised him.’
- ‘His movie is like a cork bobbing amiably on waves of lightness and unforced gaiety.’
- ‘The two then parted ways amiably.’
- ‘He amiably volunteered to make an appointment for me with the minister.’
- ‘We were able to get along amiably throughout the entire trial, down to the last closing argument.’
- ‘They sit amiably in front of a coffee table made from a knee-high stack of animation cels.’
- ‘His forthright, amiably assertive manner perhaps appealed to some readers.’
- ‘We were talking so amiably that I found myself enjoying being with you as I never had before.’
- ‘This character's role is merely to grin amiably, like the servants in old Hollywood films.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.