One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of one of the indigenous peoples of the Americas (used chiefly in anthropological and linguistic contexts).
- ‘St Lucia's customs are a blend of the African, Amerindian, East Indian and European.’
- ‘We wander around the hotel looking at the huge ice sculptures: fish, bears, Amerindians, Inuits in kayaks, and even the Statue of Liberty.’
- ‘In the Amazon, native Amerindians wear face paint and traditional tunics.’
- ‘Tribal people like the Aborigines, Amerindians and Bushmen are the heirs to all the richness and diversity of the natural world.’
- ‘In this political formation, the effort was to develop a multi racial alliance of Africans, Indians, Amerindians and all those who were interested in social justice.’
Of or relating to the indigenous peoples of the Americas.
Late 19th century: blend of American and Indian.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.