One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of one of the indigenous peoples of the Americas (used chiefly in anthropological and linguistic contexts).
- ‘In this political formation, the effort was to develop a multi racial alliance of Africans, Indians, Amerindians and all those who were interested in social justice.’
- ‘St Lucia's customs are a blend of the African, Amerindian, East Indian and European.’
- ‘In the Amazon, native Amerindians wear face paint and traditional tunics.’
- ‘We wander around the hotel looking at the huge ice sculptures: fish, bears, Amerindians, Inuits in kayaks, and even the Statue of Liberty.’
- ‘Tribal people like the Aborigines, Amerindians and Bushmen are the heirs to all the richness and diversity of the natural world.’
Of or relating to the indigenous peoples of the Americas.
Late 19th century: blend of American and Indian.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.