Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The action of making a person or thing American in character or nationality.‘the Americanization of popular culture continues apace’
- ‘These novels present an alternate vision of Americanization.’
- ‘The criticisms against bilingual education policy are myopic and focused on nostalgic notions of Americanization and assimilation.’
- ‘I seldom ask myself questions about my "Americanization."’
- ‘The French worried about the Americanization of their culture and the disappearance of peasant society.’
- ‘The story of his Americanization becomes, in fact, an account of recurring homelessness.’
- ‘Critique of the process of Americanization was also a central issue in the arts.’
- ‘Statistics provide a much less dramatic picture of Americanization through television.’
- ‘The union becomes an experiment in Americanization more than a loving relationship.’
- ‘It is hard to appreciate the global reach and power of Americanization when one is working from inside the global center.’
- ‘Americanization did take place in the period directly after the World War II, when American society became a controversial model for Europeans.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.