One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the US) a negotiable certificate of title to a number of shares in a non-US company which are deposited in an overseas bank.
- ‘Separately, lawsuits have been filed by investors in France and the U.S., where their American depositary receipts trade.’
- ‘The company's American depositary receipts Thursday rose 4.8 percent as US stocks rallied.’
- ‘While I invest most of my savings in mutual funds, I also own some American depositary receipts of Europe's biggest drugmaker, which I bought more than ten years ago.’
- ‘In January, the company filed with the US Securities and Exchange Commission to sell American depositary receipts.’
- ‘You can browse among the hundreds of foreign companies that list their shares on U.S. exchanges using American depositary receipts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.