One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for century plant
- ‘As one drives through the dry but beautiful Karoo near Graaf-Reinet in South Africa you will see stands of a dark blue-grey leafed plant, which farmers often call the American aloe, and which are all members of the Agave family.’
- ‘The next forenoon, when the sable horseman arrived, he found a roll of crimson baize laid down from the pales before the tavern to the doorway, which was lined by American aloes in tubs.’
- ‘Here, flower lovers can pick from an almost limitless range - roses, lilies, chrysanthemum, forget-me-nots, American aloes, tuberoses and sunflowers.’
- ‘It is considered the warmest place on the south-west coast, as oranges, lemons, and American aloes bloom in the open air, in the pleasure grounds of Woodville and the Moult.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.