Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The act of making something better; improvement.‘progress brings with it the amelioration of the human condition’
advance, development, upgrade, change for the better, refinement, enhancement, furtherance, advancement, forwardingView synonyms
- ‘Its thrust is towards amelioration of the poor and a lot of distance has been covered.’
- ‘The increasingly powerful industrial working class sought the amelioration of its social and economic conditions.’
- ‘This amelioration is for the most part subjective rather than objective - the individual feels better about him- or herself.’
- ‘It would also provide a sound basis for targeting scarce resources and developing strategies for remediation and amelioration.’
- ‘For real amelioration in education is completely contingent upon complementary improvement in the wider societal context.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.