Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Age-related macular degeneration (see macular degeneration):‘the results provide physicians and patients with new information about preventing vision loss from AMD’See also macular degeneration
- ‘AMD is a medical condition that leads to the gradual loss of central vision caused by retinal damage.’
- ‘Among the causes of AMD, scientists describe a breakdown of light-sensitive cells within the retina.’
- ‘In the meantime, during regular examinations, eye doctors can see the telltale signs of early, intermediate, and advanced AMD.’
- ‘According to the National Eye Institute (NEI), more than 1.6 million Americans in that age group have advanced AMD.’
- ‘He will recruit six patients suffering from AMD, all aged at least 50 years, and take cells from their skin.’
- ‘Convert money in Armenian Dram (AMD) to and from foreign currencies using up to date exchange rates.’
- ‘The banking group took the lead in call liabilities (126.7 billion AMD).’
- ‘With the improvement of the external current account, the Armenian dram (AMD) remained stable.’
- ‘The Armenian dram continued depreciating to the end 2010 at the annual average rate of AMD 373.3 per USD.’
- ‘The Armenian currency is known as the ''dram'', and the currency is abbreviated as AMD.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.