One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The decorative timber of a rapidly growing SE Asian tree, used for cabinetmaking.
- ‘Exquisite furniture made from exotic woods fills the house, such as the large Victorian wardrobe veneered in amboyna wood, which can be seen in the Queen's Suite.’
- ‘After finishing the surface, the grain texture of amboyna wood has a depth and richness unmatched in other textured woods.’
- ‘Its paleness escapes looking bland thanks to contrasting inlays of ebony, walnut and amboyna, a wood distinguished by bird's eye curls.’
- ‘The centrepiece of the pavilion was a grand piano designed by Ruhlmann and made from such exotic materials as amboyna wood and Macassar ebony.’
- ‘This set is made of two continuous pieces of rich colored amboyna burl.’
Mid 19th century: named after Amboina Island (see Ambon).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.