One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural ambones, Plural ambos
(in an early Christian church) an oblong pulpit with steps at each end.
- ‘Ray Carroll designed the altar, tabernacle, ambo and chair.’
- ‘Opposite, a humbler twelfth-century ambo has a paired mosaic motif, showing Jonah being eaten and then regurgitated by a twirly-tailed whale.’
- ‘The raised central platform or predella has the ambo at one end and the altar at the other.’
- ‘Preparations continue in the locality and the church is looking resplendent with a new altar, tabernacle and ambo as well as a new carpet.’
- ‘Early Christian churches had no pulpits other than the ambos where scriptures could be read.’
Mid 17th century: via medieval Latin from Greek ambōn ‘rim’ (in medieval Greek ‘pulpit’).
nounPlural ambones, Plural ambosAustralian
1A member of an ambulance crew; a paramedic.‘ambos will not tolerate any situation where patient safety is compromised’
- ‘There are a couple of ambos with her and one of them is strapping an oxygen mask over her face.’
- ‘I thank our friend the operator, place my mobile back on my waist, and transfer you into the care of the ambos.’
- ‘The female ambo straps her in and gives her a reassuring smile.’
- ‘The ambos patch us up properly.’
- ‘"By placing it under the phone, everyone knows where it is, from the family members to the ambos," John said.’
- 1.1 An ambulance.‘he saw two ambos and a firetruck parked on the terminal’
- ‘I forgo the luxury of riding in the back of the ambo with him however, choosing instead to pick up some essentials for his stay.’
- ‘From the look of things in the ambo, Janie's new boyfriend wasn't exactly the epitome of self-control.’
- ‘The London Ambulance Service is giving us poor ambulance staff shiny new ambos to drive.’
- ‘She hates listening to the gunshots that echo from Fairmount and Gilmor at night, wondering if the ambo siren is for DeAndre or if the police wagon racing around the corner has been called for her son.’
1970s: abbreviation of ambulance.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.