One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of having mixed feelings or contradictory ideas about something or someone.‘the law's ambivalence about the importance of a victim's identity’‘government ambivalence towards the arts’
equivocation, uncertainty, unsureness, doubt, indecision, inconclusiveness, irresolution, irresoluteness, hesitation, hesitancy, fluctuation, vacillation, shilly-shallying, tentativenessView synonyms
- ‘There is deep British ambivalence about openly acknowledging this.’
- ‘Montgomerie is equally tentative, possibly because he senses Kidd's ambivalence.’
- ‘My ambivalence over speaking at the funeral was compounded when dad asked if I would do a scripture reading.’
- ‘In the past, I might have struggled to join in, concealing my ambivalence with uncertain assertions.’
- ‘At every stage, ambivalence and indecision has meant that decisions were forced upon them by events on the ground.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.