Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bulbous plant with showy trumpet-shaped flowers and strap-shaped leaves.See also belladonna lily
- ‘Some bulbs, such as amaryllis and paperwhites, can readily be brought into flower in time for the winter holidays if you start about five or six weeks in advance.’
- ‘For amaryllis, allow the bulbs to dry out from mid-August through mid-November, then water and feed to promote bloom.’
- ‘Many amaryllis bulbs sold in autumn are (botanically speaking) hippeastrum bulbs.’
- ‘Take time for some indoor gardening activities with your children, such as preparing your favorite amaryllis bulbs - kids will marvel at how quickly the plants develop.’
- ‘The amaryllis is ideal for people who have little time or inclination to spend on high-maintenance flowers and plants.’
- ‘The two easiest bulbs to force are paper-white narcissus and amaryllis.’
- ‘Potted amaryllis bulbs top-dressed with moss make welcome gifts.’
- ‘For my home, I would just go for something simple, like a nice vase of tulips or amaryllis.’
- ‘The large-flowered amaryllis we're used to seeing at this time of year carry huge blossoms - 8 and even 10 inches across.’
- ‘Cheryl Howie of Iowa keeps her amaryllis standing straight with a unique plant stake she made out of a Frisbee and a few wooden dowels.’
- ‘Saillen said he is struck by the beauty of strong, vibrant flowers, like amaryllis, banana flowers and birds of paradise.’
- ‘Many southern gardens don't have tulips, forsythia or daffodils, but instead have guava, pineapple and amaryllis.’
- ‘Fertilize amaryllis regularly during the growth cycle starting one month after planting (when active growth is underway).’
- ‘Plant amaryllis bulbs in containers early this month for Thanksgiving bloom or in late October for Christmas bloom.’
- ‘I also dug the amaryllis, which I plant out each summer after their winter show.’
- ‘Combine the pleasures of both with holiday red amaryllis and pristine white tulips and fragrant hyacinths.’
- ‘Potted amaryllis that flowered at Christmas may bloom again the following holiday season if you take a few steps to program the flowering.’
- ‘Dasan took his time to makes memorials for all his people, 500 crosses with an amaryllis flower tied to it.’
- ‘The plant is another South African native and is related to amaryllis.’
- ‘Butterfly amaryllis and other species do not require a dormancy period.’
Modern Latin, from Latin Amaryllis (from Greek Amarullis), a name for a country girl in pastoral poetry.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.