One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brown almond-flavoured liqueur produced in Italy.
- ‘At Cherrywood's, women drank coffee with amaretto, and men drank ale.’
- ‘Winners this year included drinks made using a Scottish candy with cloves and orange bitters, one with Chartreuse and rosemary, and a highly recommended refresher using peach puree, amaretto and peach bitters.’
- ‘The meal was polished off with some complimentary icy cold amaretto - an apology for my pasta.’
- ‘One of the most popular is the Strawberry Shortcake, made with amaretto, strawberries and vanilla ice cream.’
- ‘After dinner I like Italian liqueurs like limoncello or amaretto.’
- ‘There was only one dessert of hazelnut biscuits, which was drizzled with lemon honey and served with apricot and peaches in amaretto.’
- ‘I passed on the sweets, but Karin chose baked amaretto cheesecake with whipped cream.’
- ‘You may not want to admit it to the rest of your softball team, but flavors like mocha amaretto and caramel are palate pleasers.’
- ‘The chocolate mousse had an overwhelming sense of alcohol which was stronger than the amaretto which provided the spirit.’
- ‘I demanded the grilled peaches served with an amaretto creme fraiche.’
- ‘In a cocktail shaker partially filled with ice, mix amaretto, peach schnapps and orange juice.’
- ‘Vicky had white chocolate brulee and I opted for the amaretto cheesecake with fruit sauce.’
- ‘Using amaretto and an organic Valencia orange, breakfast turned out quite well.’
- ‘Kate ordered a short vanilla amaretto café latte with whipped cream and cinnamon on top.’
- ‘While my eye was immediately drawn to the Belgian dark chocolate and chilli cheesecake, I couldn't resist my childhood favourite of trifle, which came in raspberry, ginger and amaretto flavour.’
- ‘You are greeted by a selection of free drinks, from iced water to espresso, cappuccino, passion fruit tea, soft drink, and coffee of the day with a choice of flavours from amaretto, chocolate, roasted hazelnut and Irish cream.’
- ‘Pour a generous dash of creme de menthe, Kahlua, Frangelico, or amaretto over vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.’
- ‘For pudding, I had raspberries topped with pistachio amaretto crumble.’
- ‘I also used amaretto instead of rum in the recipe.’
- ‘In Italy, bitter-almond paste is used to make the crisp amaretti cookies, and bitter-almond extract gives amaretto liqueur its character.’
Italian, diminutive of amaro ‘bitter’ (with reference to bitter almonds).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.