One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Italian almond-flavoured biscuits.
- ‘Another day we make semi-freddo, combining the richness of heavy cream with bitter dark chocolate and the nutty flavour of amaretti biscuits.’
- ‘Baked nectarines with crushed amaretti biscuits was a lighter and indisputably healthier alternative.’
- ‘A rack full of goodies like olive paste and amaretti (intense and crunchy almond cookies) pulled me back to the counter.’
- ‘In Italy, bitter-almond paste is used to make the crisp amaretti cookies, and bitter-almond extract gives amaretto liqueur its character.’
- ‘If you like, you can finish it with crumbled amaretti biscuits, sticks of shortbread, and of course, your butterscotch sauce.’
- ‘But both the French macaron and the American macaroon are based on the crisp Italian meringue cookies called amaretti.’
- ‘A thick, dense slice of chocolate deliciousness, dotted with patches of softened amaretti cookies and surrounded by a deep red, tart raspberry sauce.’
- ‘Desserts included crumbled amaretti in a rich dark chocolate mousse and home-made apple tart made with thin slices of apple.’
- ‘Then came the main course, tender breast of duckling with peach, amaretti and baby vegetables.’
- ‘Adding a small handful of crushed amaretti to a pumpkin ravioli filling is an Italian custom - it adds a light texture and a hint of sweet almond flavour.’
- ‘Dazzling ingredients, such as liqueur, fresh raspberries and amaretti cookies, are what lift these sweets from simple to sublime.’
- ‘If I can get them, I also like the addition of ratafia or amaretti biscuits soaked with the sponge for texture and that almond flavour.’
- ‘Sprinkle the amaretti crumbs in the base, then spoon over the fruit.’
- ‘Still, the service was worth braving for the terrific, crispy cantucci, biscotti, and amaretti, richly-scented with aromatic bitter almonds.’
- ‘Italian Amaretti biscuits are now widely available in supermarkets, as well as delicatessen.’
Italian, based on amaro ‘bitter’; compare with amaretto.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.