Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
plural nounSouth african
Tribal leaders regarded collectively.
- ‘We want an interim solution to the concerns of the amakhosi.’
- ‘Nonkonyana said the amakhosi were concerned that the government had so far made no progress, despite promised public hearings on the bill at the end of February.’
- ‘The National House of Traditional Leaders said on Wednesday that there had been no progress in negotiations with government on the powers and functions of the amakhosi within the country's new municipal structures.’
- ‘These amakhosi would not be officially elected, but after the elections amakhosi of an area would come together to appoint their representative.’
- ‘He said traditional leaders working alongside democratically elected officials in local government structures was one way to solve the differences between the government and the amakhosi on this matter.’
Zulu and Xhosa, plural of inkosi ruler, chief.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.