One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounSouth African
Tribal leaders regarded collectively.
- ‘We want an interim solution to the concerns of the amakhosi.’
- ‘Nonkonyana said the amakhosi were concerned that the government had so far made no progress, despite promised public hearings on the bill at the end of February.’
- ‘The National House of Traditional Leaders said on Wednesday that there had been no progress in negotiations with government on the powers and functions of the amakhosi within the country's new municipal structures.’
- ‘These amakhosi would not be officially elected, but after the elections amakhosi of an area would come together to appoint their representative.’
- ‘He said traditional leaders working alongside democratically elected officials in local government structures was one way to solve the differences between the government and the amakhosi on this matter.’
Zulu and Xhosa, plural of inkosi ‘ruler, chief’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.