Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A nursemaid or maid in East Asia or India.
attendant, retainerView synonyms
- ‘These women have been called the first generation of feminists in modern China, and they worked as amahs in Hong Kong, Macau and Singapore.’
- ‘I think of telling him that I would divorce the wife, send the kids to an orphanage, fire the amah, sell the apartment, and rent a flat in Sheung Wan.’
- ‘She had been a perfect amah and servant since her employment there began only a few years before.’
- ‘Recent news reports have detailed abusive treatment of these amahs by some employers.’
- ‘Often, they are negatively compared with a nostalgic image of the humble and loyal Chinese amah of the past.’
From Portuguese ama nurse.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.