One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting or relating to an Internet connection that is continuously accessible.‘high-speed cable lines provide the Internet user with an always-on connection’‘aircraft used to be one of the last refuges from our always-on world’
continuous, incessant, unceasing, ceaseless, constant, continual, perpetual, unfaltering, permanent, uninterrupted, without interruption, round-the-clock, unbroken, steady, unremitting, relentless, persistentView synonyms
- ‘He's peddling relief for legions of businesspeople who are caught in a web of portable work, always-on technology, and bad habits.’
- ‘We had discovered that always-on, always-connected wireless email was completely addictive.’
- ‘To work best, such an appliance should be connected to a home network with a fast, always-on Internet connection.’
- ‘Reinforced by the echo chamber of a million always-on consumers, brands have seen their power expand and grow.’
- ‘The handheld, always-on machines are the size of a deck of cards.’
- ‘The always-on, two-way Internet communication with other farmers throughout the Midwest has truly transformed his business.’
- ‘"Think of them as the always-on generation," he says.’
- ‘Constant always-on connectivity is readily available to all for the first time ever.’
- ‘This cruise is definitely not for the always-on generation, as there is no internet access aboard ship.’
- ‘Some 36% of American households now have fast, always-on hookups.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.