Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An alloy of copper and aluminium.
- ‘The tin bronzes, as for chill casting, are suitable for centrifugal casting and, in addition, the high tensile brasses and aluminum bronzes may be centrifugally cast.’
- ‘The phosphor bronzes, aluminum bronze alloys are the most suitable alloys for such applications.’
- ‘One of the problems associated with copper alloys is the fact that some of them, such as aluminum bronze, have a coefficient of expansion over 50% greater than that of copper.’
- ‘The aluminum bronze coating provides an improvement over prior art coatings in reducing coefficient of friction between the parts.’
- ‘The structure and consequent heat treatability of aluminum bronze varies greatly with composition.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.