One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical element of atomic number 13, a light silvery-grey metal.
- ‘Metallic elements offer a plethora of textures from silky smooth silver to brushed aluminium.’
- ‘Those containing magnesium or aluminium generally work by neutralising the stomach acid.’
- ‘He also put a frame around the lamp to keep it cool and made the fixture of aluminum rather than steel.’
- ‘One myth is that aluminum is not sufficiently strong to serve as a structural metal.’
- ‘The other way is to coat the steel surface with a metal compatible with aluminum.’
- ‘The use of aluminium and steel in car production is thought of as something new.’
- ‘Small amounts of other metals are added to aluminum to make harder alloys for most uses.’
- ‘The case is steel, not aluminium, but weight is not an issue with a case of this small size.’
- ‘The major incentive for employing aluminum is its weight saving compared to steel.’
- ‘You could make the analogy that it has the weight of aluminum with the strength of steel.’
- ‘All you see is a big slab of aluminum running across the dashboard.’
- ‘Modern formal gardens use water in geometric pools and metals like steel and aluminium in structures.’
- ‘Mix aluminium, lead, copper and steel components incorrectly and you will get rapid rusting.’
- ‘In the short term, it may be late to take advantage of the move in copper, aluminum and oil.’
- ‘The interior also gets the silver treatment, with polished aluminum all over.’
- ‘Aluminum dust captured from the air is recycled and used to produce new aluminum.’
- ‘Strollers made from steel and aluminum are very durable and will last you a lot longer.’
- ‘Officials said materials made of plastic, aluminum, glass and metals will have to be recycled.’
- ‘The ease with which aluminum may be fabricated into any form is one of its most important assets.’
- ‘He got the formula right, but had not looked up the melting point of aluminum.’
Early 19th century: from alumina + -ium.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.