One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- technical term for bastard wing
- ‘It has pure white body feathers except for the black alulae, primary techrices and primary remiges.’
- ‘‘The alula is essential in modern birds for low-speed flight and maneuverability,’ they wrote.’
- ‘Although the alula is absent, the third finger probably had the same function in controlling separation of the upper surface airflow.’
- ‘Yearlings in the study were identified in the hand by the olivegreen (rather than blue) edges of their alulae and primary coverts.’
- ‘He discovered the vortices that are produced off the wings, and observed the alulae, or ‘thumbs’ of the wings.’
Late 18th century: modern Latin, literally ‘small wing’, diminutive of ala.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.