One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The Trent Tile Company made a specialty of dull-finished or ‘Trent finished’ tiles in alto-relievo, which are treated by the sand-blast process after being glazed.’
- ‘The scenic front is not pictorially decorated but is composed of a metal coating and a bronze alto-relievo sculpture located in a black recess.’
- ‘The wall is carved with the technique of three-layer alto-relievo.’
- ‘The second is designed to reproduce sculptures, as the first, of dimensions equaling the model, but of the kind called alto-relievo.’
- ‘I have lately seen a new alto-relievo model of Scotland brought out by Messrs William Martin & Co.,. of 67 West Nile Street, Glasgow.’
Mid 17th century: from Italian alto-rilievo.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.