One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The measurement of height or altitude.‘we can use altimetry to monitor the surface ocean currents’‘satellite altimetry’
- ‘Laser altimetry gives much more precise measurements than radar, with a horizontal resolution of around 100 m.’
- ‘The records do not support the idea of a sudden acceleration, and satellite altimetry suggests almost no change of sea level during the past decade.’
- ‘He has authored more than 30 journal articles on such topics as airborne laser altimetry, crustal deformation monitoring, and high-precision GPS reference networks.’
- ‘The global measurements to be provided by the imminent GRACE mission and by continuing efforts in satellite altimetry are expected to provide a definitive solution to this important climatological and geophysical puzzle.’
- ‘Satellite altimetry is used to identify key habitats for other marine animals, which can then be tracked and studied.’
Late Middle English: from medieval Latin altimetria.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.