Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A style of rock music characterized as unconventional or outside the mainstream.‘the disaffection of grunge and alternative rock resonated powerfully with a generation weathering an economic recession’
- ‘Straddling the worlds of alternative rock and serious art, Waits assiduously avoids compromise.’
- ‘For better or worse, they were largely responsible for alternative rock as we know it.’
- ‘The band are aiming at spiritual uplift, at finding common ground between pop music, alternative rock and religious devotional.’
- ‘This absurd selection of tracks appears to highlight some elements of this journey, with elements of punk, alternative rock or film music audaciously thrown in together.’
- ‘Though their fame faded when "alternative rock" became synonymous with "grunge," nerds still love 'em silly.’
- ‘Alternative rock was literally dying on the vine, when along came this haunting beautiful eulogy that captured America's world-weary spirit and the Seattle sound.’
- ‘They played basic alternative rock and were able to kick it hard and mellow things down easily.’
- ‘Few could have predicted that the band would become one of alternative rock's most bankable hitmakers.’
- ‘Rap has heavily influenced the current state of alternative rock and of music at large.’
- ‘Their eponymous debut, as far back as 1996, was a classic slice of US-based alternative rock.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.