Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Energy fuelled in ways that do not use up the earth's natural resources or otherwise harm the environment, especially by avoiding the use of fossil fuels or nuclear power.
- ‘We should pursue all viable alternative energy sources, from nuclear power to solar to geothermal.’
- ‘This technology is no cure all, but it would at least give the world a chance and the requisite breathing space to further develop alternative energy sources.’
- ‘Any serious attempt to shift from fossil fuels to alternative energy demands greater national and global efforts.’
- ‘While we're on the subject of costs, consider that the cheapest and safest form of alternative energy is - using less.’
- ‘Naturally, for alternative energy to be useful, it must be boundless, renewable, and not take away anything from the environment.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.