Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounNorth American
The use of methods such as mediation or arbitration to resolve a dispute without resort to litigation.
- ‘Ultimately, in the proper circumstances structured settlements are one of the most effective forms of alternative dispute resolution.’
- ‘We need some king of alternative dispute resolution where both parties can file a few pieces of paper and someone gives them an opinion.’
- ‘In addition to these trends, there is an increasing emphasis on alternative dispute resolution and privatized forums for handling certain legal issues, such as in-house tribunals within companies.’
- ‘That little pamphlet might be worth a second look, especially if it talks about arbitration or alternative dispute resolution.’
- ‘She points to the gradual shift away from litigation as a preference for alternative dispute resolution and mediation methods, largely because of an overloaded court system.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.