One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of comedy rejecting established (especially racist or sexist) stereotypes and sometimes having a political component.
- ‘Their humour bridged the gap between highbrow '60s satire and '80s alternative comedy.’
- ‘Their first series, Girls on Top, was followed by the eponymous French and Saunders whereupon they quickly became the female faces of alternative comedy.’
- ‘He went on to find success in his own right, topping the bill at the London Palladium five times in 10 years, as well as paving the way for alternative comedy with The Goon Show.’
- ‘Fourteen years later I started doing stand-up comedy in Boston, hanging out at comedy clubs and alternative comedy rooms in Boston.’
- ‘Top-quality alternative comedy is coming to Bromley this week with the opening of a new fortnightly comedy club.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.