Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A style of comedy rejecting established (especially racist or sexist) stereotypes and sometimes having a political component.
- ‘Fourteen years later I started doing stand-up comedy in Boston, hanging out at comedy clubs and alternative comedy rooms in Boston.’
- ‘Their first series, Girls on Top, was followed by the eponymous French and Saunders whereupon they quickly became the female faces of alternative comedy.’
- ‘He went on to find success in his own right, topping the bill at the London Palladium five times in 10 years, as well as paving the way for alternative comedy with The Goon Show.’
- ‘Their humour bridged the gap between highbrow '60s satire and '80s alternative comedy.’
- ‘Top-quality alternative comedy is coming to Bromley this week with the opening of a new fortnightly comedy club.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.