One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The repeated occurrence of two things in turn.‘the regular alternation of stressed and unstressed syllables’count noun ‘Ghana's climate is warm and humid, with distinct alternations between rainy summer and dry winters’
- ‘Her alternation between a slight twang and subtle gristle leans a bit toward classic country.’
- ‘Alternating applications of different fungicides has the effect of limiting total seasonal use of both fungicides used in the alternation.’
- ‘There is no evolution in his work, but a continual alternation between structure and disorder, equilibrium and fragmentation.’
- ‘The color alternations intensify at various moments, as though attempting to overwhelm the viewer's sensorial apparatus.’
- ‘These alternations result from vowel sequences which are unique to derived verb stems.’
- ‘Keyboard instruments can simulate these effects by a rapid alternation of notes, often an octave apart.’
- ‘He plays with sharp alternations of mood, from the high-spirited to the melancholic in a single sentence or musical cue.’
- ‘The distracting alternation of languages is annoying.’
- ‘The so-called sleep movements of leaves are determined by the daily alternations of light and darkness.’
- ‘One alternation of silence and electronic sounds helps you to sense that here is the music of the spheres.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.