One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electric current that reverses its direction many times a second at regular intervals, typically used in power supplies.Compare with direct current
- ‘In fact, while the national grid relies on alternating current for transmitting electrons, the internal Texas grid transmits via direct current.’
- ‘In any case Edison's technique was limited by his insistence on using direct current, rather than the standard alternating current that soon took its place when the advantages were recognized.’
- ‘LED lights require a transformer to turn alternating current to direct current.’
- ‘The company built a new mill and contracted with the Telluride Power and Transmission Company at Ames to supply electricity as an alternating current to both the mine and mill.’
- ‘Some lesions can be shaved down to the level of the surrounding skin, either using a surgical blade or electro-surgery, which uses an alternating current to destroy skin tissue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.