Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A boy who acts as a priest's assistant during a service, especially in the Roman Catholic Church.
- ‘Dallaire grew up a French-Canadian Catholic, an altar boy, and a soloist in the choir.’
- ‘I was a sixth grader, an altar boy awed by liturgy, and determined to be a priest.’
- ‘He had a strong religious belief and was a daily mass-goer and in his younger days, he served as an altar boy in the Dominican Church which is located next door to where he grew up.’
- ‘He will visit the site of the former Odeon cinema in Crouch Street, his old church where he was an altar boy in Coggeshall, and meet up with old friends.’
- ‘He was an altar boy at Our Lady of Victories Church, near his home on West Lane, while attending the next-door primary school.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.