One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘the soundtrack throbs with alt-rock and techno’short for alternative rockas modifier ‘alt-rock radio’
- ‘The venue's intimacy and energy suits all music genres from folk to alt-rock.’
- ‘They make danceable alt-rock of a persuasion that's as aggressive as possible without getting silly.’
- ‘Besides the rasping Cobain-like vocals any other trace of the alt-rock anthem of yesterday has all but faded.’
- ‘The guitar work here is promising, with some alt-rock influences providing a welcome respite from the usual thirds-based harmonies.’
- ‘Sonically overwhelming throughout its eight tracks, the album affirms the enduring significance of alt-rock's most pervasive clichés.’
- ‘Their dramatic alt-rock had more than a few echoes of The Bends and OK Computer.’
- ‘The album pitches into the familiar anthemic alt-rock that has already carved the band their place in history.’
- ‘"Don't Hold Your Breath" takes the mid-'90s alt-rock formula and slows it down to a crawl, revealing nuance, beauty and emotional resonance.’
- ‘I did have the dream that I might become some sort of alt-rock goddess in the States.’
- ‘Most songs end up in a vaguely alt-rock area somewhere between the Music and Pearl Jam, although the overall effect defies description.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.