One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drug of the benzodiazepine group, used in the treatment of anxiety.
- ‘Use of fast-acting, short half-life benzodiazepines such as alprazolam and lorazepam should be avoided.’
- ‘According to the indictment, the drugs included alprazolam, hydrocodone, phentermine hydrochloride, and promethazine cough syrup with codeine.’
- ‘Tranquillisers such as alprazolam can help reduce anxiety if this is a symptom of PMS, but they should not be used in the long term.’
- ‘Wessely also gives the example of the rise in awareness of panic disorder in the US coinciding with the granting of a licence for the drug alprazolam to be used to treat the condition.’
- ‘The doctor is correct that long-term use of anti-anxiety drugs like alprazolam, diazepam or lorazepam can cause dependency.’
1970s: from al- of unknown origin + p(henyl) + ( t)r(i)azol(e) + ( -azep)am.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.