One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A climber of high mountains, especially in the Alps.
- ‘They did it alpinist style: just the two of them roped together and carrying all their equipment on their backs.’
- ‘And let it be known that Michael Kennedy is also an accomplished skier, loves ski mountaineering, and has plenty of insight into issues important to glisse alpinists.’
- ‘Operating without adequate fuel reserves was one of the issues that put these four alpinists in trouble.’
- ‘The town's location at the foot of Europe's highest mountain and the centre of every serious alpinist's universe is not in question.’
- ‘I'd asked Mark Twight to be my partner because he was a bold alpinist known for climbing fast and light, an ascetic philosophy I live by.’
- ‘Still, although these preclimb climbing trips have honed many an alpinist's mental acuity, mountain acumen, and technical skill, they are usually too short to effectively jump-start physiological acclimatization.’
- ‘Backcountry skiers, especially European glisse alpinists, wanted the benefits of this latest alpine gear, only with the option of lifting their heel for hiking.’
- ‘When Washburn was 16, his father, an Episcopal minister, took the family on a six-month sabbatical to Europe, where the fledgling alpinist summited Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn.’
- ‘This month, alpinist Mark Synnott tests the sharpest new ice axes, crampons, ice screws, leashes, and screamers.’
- ‘He's fast becoming the best Himalayan alpinist of this or any generation.’
- ‘In 1893, alpinist Malcolm Ross completed the climb alone saying it was one of the most difficult he'd done.’
- ‘By 20, he was regarded as one of the boldest young alpinists in the country.’
- ‘I perceived him as an alpinist ready to climb the Mont Blanc.’
- ‘While I'm not an alpinist myself, this book has been inspirational in all my outdoor activities.’
- ‘Many top alpinists set off on expeditions with a Washburn contact print, a hand-drawn map, and a scouting report sent by Washburn himself.’
- ‘In the future, alpinists will treat Mount McKinley like a quadruple-black-diamond downhill run.’
- ‘No alpinist worth his ice ax wants to be accused of climbing a mountain in lesser style than those who came before.’
- ‘You can bike, swim, or run your way to a stronger heart and lungs, but since climbing demands more than just cardio fitness, trail running works best for alpinists.’
- ‘Russian cross-country skiers have explored the region for 30 years, but it's been largely missed by alpinists.’
- ‘The Zmutt Ridge was climbed by the famous English alpinist Albert Frederick Mummery in 1879.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.