Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘the guide provides information on essential equipment needed for alpine touring, telemarking, and snowboarding’another term for randonnée
- ‘Despite this serene setting, alpine touring is definitely not for the faint of heart - or thigh.’
- ‘His adventures include scuba diving, whitewater kayaking, rock climbing and alpine touring.’
- ‘If you live close to a ski area, hike to the top several times a week by using skins on an alpine-touring setup or simply strapping your skis to a backpack.’
- ‘With the advent of increasingly lightweight alpine touring equipment, a surging number of uphill skiers are crawling up ski areas.’
- ‘Telemark has long been a popular mode of back-country skiing (although alpine touring and back-country snowboarding are growing in popularity).’
- ‘He's wearing lightweight ski boots and a pair of alpine touring skis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.